Postdoctoral Fellowships, FWO - Odysseus programme, Belgium
The FWO Odysseus programme supports outstanding researchers who have built up a career outside Flanders. The programme provides start-up funding in order to develop a research group within a Flemish university or to set up a research line and become progressively more involved in the Flemish research establishment.
Profile and conditions:
- The subsidy is spread over 5 years and includes the salary cost for supporting staff, equipment and bench fees. This breakdown is purely indicative, because the researcher under this programme is entitled to freely dispose of the financial resources. Salary costs and remunerations of the Odysseus beneficiaries are borne by the host institution. Otherwise the same guidelines as for FWO projects apply.
- The subsidy is used for two types of start-up funding:
Odysseus Group I:
- for researchers who are internationally recognised as pioneers in their field and who already have a position at a foreign university
- research funding: 400,000 to 1,500,000/year (2,000,000 to 7,500,000 for the 5-year period)
Odysseus Group II
- Researchers who have at least 3 years' post-doctoral experience abroad and whose work has convinced leading colleagues in the field that they have potential to develop a leading international position.
- Research funding: 100,000 and 200,000/year (500,000 to 1,000,000 for the 5-year period)
- Only the Flemish universities can, potentially in cooperation, nominate candidates at the FWO.
To be considered an eligible candidate:
- you have been employed by a foreign institution for at least one year before the date of the application.
- you have for at least three years been affiliated to a foreign institution in the last five years ('foreign' here meaning a non-belgian institute).
- you meet the criteria of excellence, as demonstrated in the CV and bibliography.you submit a research plan at the relevant universities. This plan includes a budget with an indicative breakdown of planned expenses over a period of five years. This research plan is approved by the university or universities and is consistent with the research policy.
- In case of a nomination by two or more universities, they should formulate a common proposal.
For further information: http://www.fwo.be/en/fellowships-funding/research-projects/odysseusprogramme/